Monday, August 29, 2011

What is the National Guard?

Many people have asked me what the National Guard is and how it differs from the Army Reserves.

Simply put, the Army National Guard is a reserve component of the US Army that serves a state and federal mission. The National Guard can be called to active duty by the governor or the president. Here is a link to the National Guard's web site. As a member of the Army National Guard I serve part time as a soldier. I will be required to serve one weekend per month and two weeks per year unless I am called to active duty. We can be called to active duty to assist with natural disasters, such as hurricanes, on the state level or we can be called to active duty by the president to assist the armed forces over seas. During normal times I will continue to work at my regular job and Carrie and I will continue to live at our home in Gainesville. When I serve my one weekend a month or two week drill period I will go to where ever my unit is conducting training. This will mostly be at Camp Blanding in Starke, FL while I attend OCS.

The National Guard is comprised of the Air National Guard (a reserve component of the Air Force, abbreviated ANG) and the Army National Guard. I have joined the Army National Guard (ARNG). When referring to the National Guard one is referring to the National guard as a whole, both the ANG and the ARNG. There is a big difference between Air Guard and Army Guard. They serve a common mission, but go about achieving that mission in very different ways.

I hope this clears up some of the mystery surrounding the Army National Guard and it's mission. If you have further questions, let me know!




1 comment: