Monday, August 22, 2011

First Drill: RSP, Red Phase

I got back from my first official drill with the Florida Army National Guard yesterday. I was at Camp Blanding in Starke, FL for the first phase of the Recruit Sustainment Program (RSP). The National Guard created RSP to help new recruits learn about the military and the Army prior to shipping off to BCT. The program is a way to acclimate the new recruit to Army life.

This was my first drill weekend and I had to complete my first PT test to make sure that I am physically fit enough to be sent to BCT. I passed the test with out issue. (I've been studying quite a bit in the past few weeks.) The majority of the weekend consisted of class room instruction and more PT. We also did a lot of PT.

I learned a lot during the two days I was there and it was nice to be able to get a first hand look at Army customs and procedures. I had the opportunity to speak with several people who had recently returned from BCT. I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of good information on what will be in store for me in the weeks to come. I applaud the Guard's effort to create a program that allows new members to gain experience and knowledge prior to being shipped off to BCT. I do however feel that this program is more beneficial to younger people who lack certain life skills and life experience in general. I will have to attend one more drill period with the RSP company after BCT and I will say that I am glad to only have to return one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment